Catch me if you can

St. George Marathon

Previous MonthRecent EntriesHomeJoin Fast Running Blog Community!PredictorHealthy RecipesJulie's RacesFind BlogsMileage BoardTop Ten Excuses for Missing a RunTop Ten Training MistakesDiscussion ForumRace Reports Send A Private MessageWeek View
Graph View
Next Month
15% off for Fast Running Blog members at St. George Running Center!



Member Since:

May 03, 2008



Goal Type:

Boston Qualifier

Running Accomplishments:

St. George Marathon 2009 3:32

Mt. Nebo 1/2 Marathon 2014 1:30

Deseret News 10k 2009 44:12 


Short-Term Running Goals:

My goal is to have fun and not get injured.

Long-Term Running Goals:

I want to continue to run for many years to come.  


I'm married with three kids.

Favorite Blogs:

Miles:This week: 0.00 Month: 0.00 Year: 469.11
Red Nike St13 Lifetime Miles: 344.68
Dark Pink Nike St14 Lifetime Miles: 34.20
Blue ST12 X2 Lifetime Miles: 231.30
Slow milesFast milesTotal Distance
Night Sleep Time: 0.00Nap Time: 0.00Total Sleep Time: 0.00Weight: 0.00Calories: 0.00
Race: St. George Marathon (26.2 Miles) 04:01:11, Place in age division: 72
Slow milesFast milesTotal Distance

This was definitely not the race I wanted.  Hopefully I can look back at this report and learn from my mistakes.

The day before the race, I picked up Cheris and we drove to St. George.  Once in St. George, we picked up Peggy and headed to the expo to get our packets.  We then went back to Peggy's house where we would be spending the night.  Cheris and Peggy had their own food and I made the mistake of not planning what I was going to eat for dinner.  I ended up getting a turkey sandwich at the grocery store.  

We went to bed at about 10:00 pm.  After not really sleeping, we got up a 3:50 am.  We got to park and searched for Jody but couldn't find her.  We decided to get in the bus line.  We ended up in a longgggg line waiting 75 minutes for the buses to return from their first trip.  It wasn't too cold, but there a little rain.  

We finally got on the buses and made it to the start.  Cheris went into the elite area.  There wasn't much time left, so Peggy and I threw our drop bags and headed to the porta potties.  We lucked out and found Jody.  Jody and I wanted about the same time, so we lined up together.  The race ended up starting nearly 30 minutes late.  

The first few miles felt okay.  Not great, but okay.  It was cold and raining.  Jody and I stayed together for about three miles.  She was smart and held back.  I picked up the pace just a little.  My dad's cousin, who lives in Veyo, was so sweet  and stood out in the crappy weather to see me come by.  I quickly realized after started up Veyo that it wasn't going to be my day.  I'm normally pretty strong on hills, but I had nothing.   I really struggled through miles 7-13.  I stopped at the porta potty for the second (or maybe 3rd) time at mile 12.  When I came out, I saw the 4:00 pace group a little ways ahead.  I caught up to them and made the decision to just tuck in and stay with them.  I felt I could have run faster, but with the headwind, I liked running in the pack.  I stayed with them until about 19 when I had to make another porta potty stop.  

Just after mile 23,  I started feeling pretty good.  I was able to pick up my pace and passed a lot of people.  The last three miles didn't feel hard at all.  When I finished, I knew I didn't run the race I had trained for.  

Here are some of the mistakes I made and will not repeat next training cycle.

1.  I did not follow my training schedule.  I ran six 1/2 marathons during the 18 week program.  I pulled this off in 2014 but this time it just wore me out.  Stick to the plan!

2.  I ran my final 20 mile run just three weeks out.  I've done this in the past, but this 47 year old body needs more taper.

3. I need to strength train and eat more (better choices).  I lost too much weight and just felt weak.



Location Net Time Clock Time Pace Pace Between
START 00:00    
5K 27:25 29:36 8:48 /mi
8:18 /mi
10K 53:13 55:24 8:34 /mi
9:44 /mi
13.1 2:00:23 2:02:34 9:10 /mi
8:53 /mi
30K 2:49:32 2:51:43 9:05 /mi
9:27 /mi
FINISH 4:01:11 4:03:22 9:11 /mi



Night Sleep Time: 0.00Nap Time: 0.00Total Sleep Time: 0.00Weight: 0.00Calories: 0.00
Add Comment
Race: SoJo Marathon (26.2 Miles) 03:58:10, Place overall: 48, Place in age division: 3
Slow milesFast milesTotal Distance

After a disappointing race at St. George marathon two weeks prior, I decided to give this race a shot.  It finishes ten minutes from my house.  I figured all I had to lose was the entry fee if it didn't work out.

I got on the 5:15 bus and headed to Copperton for the 6:45 am start.  I stayed warm by the heat lamps and chatted with some other runners while we waited.  It was about 40 degrees.  My only concern was the wind from the south.  At 6:25 we were warned if we wanted to use the porta potties, we better get in line.  I did and had just enough time to take off my warm clothes and line up.  

When the gun went off we started running at an uphill grade.  I tried to hold back a little.  I caught up to the 3:45 group at about one mile.  I stayed with them until the long two mile uphill section at mile 5.  I let them go and tried to conserve my energy.  At about mile 7, we reached the top and started the two mile descent.  I really liked this part.  By mile 9, the 3:45 group was in sight.  I was feeling really good.  I hit the 1/2 around 1:52.  At about mile 17 we started the uphill climb in front of the temple and into the wind.  This section really took a lot out of me.  By mile 19, I could feel the wall coming.  Miles 19-21 are mostly uphill.  Cheris was waiting to cheer me on at mile 20.  She is so awesome.  I wish I felt better when I saw her.  Cheris and Michelle met me again at mile 22.  They are the best.  I was so happy to see them.  I was telling them goodbye and tripped on a hole cover.   I caught myself, but that really hurt my sore hamstring.  Taylor and Gary met me at mile 25.  They tried so hard to push me, but I just couldn't go any faster.   My body was done.  Jerry was at the finish to see me.  I could barely walk for the next 15 minutes.  Taylor said after seeing me finish, she didn't know if she ever wanted to do a marathon.  She won the 5k that morning.  

I didn't get the 3:45-3:50 time I wanted, but I don't regret giving it a shot.  I learned some valuable lessons.

I need to do my last long run 3 weeks before the marathon, not 2.  This was only my 3rd out of 24 marathons that I didn't stop to use the porta potty.  Here is what I did.

Thursday:  I ate a bigger lunch and dinner with less fiber than usual

Friday: Breakfast - Scrambled eggs and cheese with one pancake.  Lunch - 2 torillas and a side of shredded chicken from Cafe Rio.  I made them into two tacos with gaucamole.  Dinner- spaghetti with plain tomato sauce.  Dessert/Snack- Special K cereal with a little milk.  I also snacked on pretzels throughout the day.

Morning of race:  (at least two hours before the race)  two slices white Grandma Sycamore bread with strawberry jam, a banana and 1/2 c. chocolate milk.  I sipped on Gatorade until the race started.  I also had 2 Immodium AD when I woke up.


Night Sleep Time: 0.00Nap Time: 0.00Total Sleep Time: 0.00Weight: 0.00Calories: 0.00
Slow milesFast milesTotal Distance
Night Sleep Time: 0.00Nap Time: 0.00Total Sleep Time: 0.00Weight: 0.00Calories: 0.00
Debt Reduction Calculator

Featured Announcements